KUYPER COLLEGE FREEZES TUITION FOR FOUR YEARS. Learn More
Because of the strength of Kuyper’s Social Work program, you may qualify for advanced standing in Masters’ in Social Work (M.S.W.) programs. This can save up to one year of graduate-level course work and considerable tuition fees. Kuyper’s graduates have gone on to pursue graduate level study programs at the University of Michigan, Western Michigan University, Grand Valley State University, Michigan State University and many other leading institutions offering M.S.W. programs.
The Social Work program prepares you with the knowledge, values, and skills for practice in social work positions as well as graduate level studies:
International Social Work
Military Social Work
Upon completion of the four-year Social Work program, you will be able to:
- Identify as a professional social worker and conduct yourself accordingly
- Demonstrate social work ethical principles to guide your professional practice and critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments
- Engage diversity and differences in practice
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice
- Research informed practice and practice informed research
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment
- Engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well-being in order to deliver effective social work services
- Respond within contexts that shape practice
- Intervene, assess and evaluate individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities
- Relate a biblical, Reformed worldview to social work knowledge, values, and skills
Build your resume with an exciting internship personalized to your program. Your advisor will work with you to determine a placement that aligns with your gifts, interests, passions and career goals.
The list below—although not complete—shows the wide variety of placement opportunities and service areas available.
Bethany Christian Services
Wedgewood Christian Services
Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services
International opportunities including:
Child welfare/family and children services
Mental health services
Because your Social Work program professors are personally invested with your ministry goals, you will receive individualized academic advising to personalize the program to your specific areas of interest.
Social Work Core 42 credit hours
You will take classes such as:
- Human Behavior
- Social Welfare Policy
- Individuals and Families
- Field Practicum
Personalize your program 12 credit hours
Make your degree as individual as you are. Personalize your program to meet your interests and goals by selecting a specialization to accompany your BSW.
Here are some specializations commonly taken with the Social Work program. A complete list of specializations can be found here.
Family Ministry Studies
Serve others with skills targeted to the needs, issues and concerns unique to family ministry.
Strengthen your skills as a communicator to excel in professional social work and relationships.
Integrate Christian faith with foundational knowledge of human thought and behavior as it relates to basic psychological ideas, terminology, theories, issues, trends, and applications today.
Listen to diverse voices and gain hands-on experiences—overseas or at home. You will learn from specialists in local and international programs which serve multicultural communities.
Double Major Option
Without adding any additional time to your program, you can use your electives to pursue the career building option of a second major in Bible and Theology. Selecting this option will provide a firm foundation as you prepare for a life of ministry and service.
For the assessment of Student Learning Outcomes for the Kuyper College Baccalaureate of Social Work Program click here.
For last year's assessment of Student Leanring Outcomes for the Kuyper College Baccalaureate of Social Work Program click here.