The History of Kuyper College
Kuyper College was founded in 1939 as Reformed Bible Institute (RBI). RBI had a very clear focus--appropriately defined in scope--with a three-year curriculum that offered a practical, focused and expedient track into foreign and domestic missions.
In 1970, after an almost five year redesign of curriculum and programs, the Department of Education of the State of Michigan gave the school the right to confer a four-year bachelor's degree. As a result, RBI changed its name to RBC—Reformed Bible College.
Today, Kuyper College is a leading Christian College focused on effectively training students to make a difference in God’s world. We continue to build on the strong foundation established first as RBI, and later as RBC. The college maintains dual accreditation with the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the Association for Biblical Higher Education (formerly AABC).
Pre-seminary, youth ministry and cross-cultural missions programs are a natural part of our Bible curriculum and history. However, so are social work, education, computer sciences, accounting, communications, business and other course majors that meet our students' desire to be the "heart and hands" of Christ to people they can reach and serve through these and other professions.
Kuyper College has a total enrollment of more than 250 students and offers a wide variety of degree programs and 16 study abroad opportunities. Yet, today its mission is the same as it was in 1939. The College seeks to place people in ministry and professional areas of leadership around the world to meet the spiritual and social challenges that exist today. This is the essence of our purpose—the essence of our identity to bring God's grace into today's culture.