Financial Aid FAQs

Where do I get my FSA ID to electronically sign my FAFSA? 
Request an FSA ID at

When should I complete my FAFSA?
As soon after January 1 as possible. Go to

Who qualifies for Federal Financial Aid?
Kuyper College is approved to participate in Title IV federal student aid programs. Funding is determined by the information given on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There are several eligibility requirements a student must meet to be considered for federal funding:

  • Demonstrate financial need according to federal methodology.
  • Have a high school diploma, a GED, or have passed a test approved by the Department of Education.
  • Be enrolled in a degree-seeking or eligible certificate program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Make satisfactory academic progress as determined by the institution.
  • Sign a statement of educational purpose and a certification statement on refunds and/or defaults.

If I have dual citizenship in the U.S. and Canada, which forms do I complete? 
Complete the U.S. forms

Can I complete my FAFSA if my parents have not done their taxes yet? 
When completing the FAFSA before income tax is filed, you or your parents can estimate what they think their income will be by using the prior year's income tax information. They will need to select "will file, but have not completed my tax return" when answering the question: "Did you file or will you file a income tax return?" Once the tax return has been filed, you or your parents will want to go back, review the information and make any corrections to the information.

One of my parents is recently unemployed. Is that taken into consideration?
Yes it can be. You should complete the Supplemental Information Form. The federal government allows us to make adjustments to your income in the case of unemployment. 

We pay private school tuition. Is there any way to report that?
Yes. Complete the Supplemental Information Form. The federal government allows us to take private school tuition payments into consideration as long as you provide a receipt from the school.

Is it worth my time to apply for outside scholarships?
Most definitely! Kuyper College students have received scholarships through Sallie Mae, Burger King, Target, Athena, Grand Rapids Foundation, Vance Havner, U.S.A. Funds, etc.

What if my family has major medical bills?
We can make adjustments for them. Complete the Supplemental Information Form.

Should I pay a company to help my file my FAFSA?
Absolutely not! Never pay anyone to help you find outside scholarships or help with your FAFSA. Kuyper College's Financial Aid Office is more than willing to assist you.